Guitar Neck & Body FAQs
Will it Fit My Guitar?
Fender® pioneered the detachable neck concept 50+ years ago. To this day, they continue to use the same basic
dimensions on most of their offerings. Many other manufacturers have adopted these dimensions into some of
their own products (Kramer, ESP, Ibanez, Schecter, etc.)
Unfortunately, this is not universal and we do see neck / body mismatches. Warmoth has held to the Fender® USA
dimensions in all our offerings (exceptions noted).
To check compatibility of non Fender instruments, the simplest method is direct comparison. The critical dimensions for guitars are below:
See Known Incompatibilities for more information.
- Neck pocket
- depth 5/8" (16 mm)
- length 3" (76 mm)
- width 2-3/16" (56 mm)
- Scale length
- (measure from nut to 12th fret x 2) is 25-1/2" (648 mm)
- distance from nut to 12th fret 12-3/4" (324 mm)
- to the heel (not extended fingerboard) is 18-7/16" (468 mm)
- Distance from heel to midpoint of bridge saddle adjustment is 7-1/8" (181 mm)
Heel and Neck Pocket Identification
- Telecaster® and Super 7 necks are squared at the heel.
- Stratocaster® and all other necks have a rounded heel at the end.
- Stratocaster® necks will fit Telecaster® bodies but show a small gap at the corners.
- Telecaster® necks will not intonate on a Strat® body without neck pocket modification.
- Mustang, Jaguar, Warmoth 7/8 and other 24" and 24-3/4" scale necks also use the Stratocaster® rounded heal design and dimensions.
- Warmoth Bass 6 necks are designed to fit Warmoth Bass 6 bodies. They are not designed to retrofit any other body.
- Warmoth Super 7 necks are designed to fit Warmoth Super 7 bodies. They are not designed to retrofit any other body.
The shape of a Strat® heel is rounded and is 2-3/16" (56mm) wide.
The shape of a Tele® neck is squared and is 2-3/16" (56mm) wide.
Bass 6 heel
The shape of our Bass 6 Heel is rounded and is 2-25/64" (61mm) wide.
Super 7 heel
The shape of our Super 7 Heel is squared and is 2-5/8" (67mm) wide.
Strat® neck pocket
Tele® neck pocket
Bass 6 neck pocket
Super 7 neck pocket
The Fender® Contoured Heel
This contoured heel and offset neck plate screw pattern is not compatible with our Warmoth Pro construction necks that use the Gotoh side adjust.
The mounting screws will pierce the side adjust mechanism..NOT GOOD!
Our Total Vintage and Vintage Modern necks ARE fully compatible with this application. We recommend omitting the mounting holes and drilling them yourself to match your body.
We have observed this contoured heel on the following models:
- Deluxe Strat®
- Deluxe Tele®
- Jeff Beck Stratocaster®
- 50th Anniversary Strat®
- There may be others...
These Fender® guitar models are non-standard and are NOT compatible with Warmoth replacement bodies and necks.
- Roadhouse Strat® - 22 fret with no fingerboard overhang
- Big Apple Strat® - 22 fret with no fingerboard overhang
- Lonestar Strat® - 22 fret with no fingerboard overhang (21 fret version is compatible with Warmoth parts)
- Nashville Tele® - 22 fret with no fingerboard overhang
- Fat Tele® - 22 fret with no fingerboard overhang
- Fat Strat® - 22 fret with no fingerboard overhang
- Heavy Metal Strat®
- Heavy Metal Tele®
- Jagmaster® - Unknow specs
We get questions about these guitars as well. Generally, these are not compatible with Warmoth replacement bodies and necks:
- G & L
- Gibson and other neck-through guitars
- Music Man